Essex District High School grad Kelsey Balkwill, who runs and coaches with the Border City Athletics, is ranked fifth in Canada in the 400 metres. Her best time is listed as 54.41. Another former Red Raider, Tyler Bellaire, is ranked 14th in the 60 metre dash with a time of 6.91
• It was a very busy week for the EDHS junior boys’ basketball team. The boys beat Walkerville 51-27 last Tuesday, and Thursday in the final WECSSAA regular season game, upped their record to 8-2 with a 47-15 win over General Amherst. On Friday, the Red Raiders opened their playoffs with a 50-24 victory over Leamington.
• Captain Gabi Fuerth fired in a pair of goals last Tuesday afternoon to pace the EDHS girls’ hockey team to a huge 4-2 win over Cardinal Carter. It was the third straight win for the Red Raiders who took on L’Essor on Tuesday in a quarter-final matchup. Also scoring against Cardinal Carter were Jessica MacPherson and Megan Prentice.
• Essex’s Alex Friesen extended his offensive streak this past weekend as he had an assist on Saturday to help the Carleton Place Canadiens to a 3-1 win over Gloucester. The following day, he had another helper in a 4-1 win over Hawkesbury. Friesen, a former Leamington Flyer, has put up points in five straight games.
• Emily McCloskey had five kills and 6.5 points for the University of Windsor, which fell 3-0 to host Guelph in OUA women’s volleyball action on Saturday.
• The EDHS junior girls’ volleyball team swept Brennan in three straight, 25-21, 25-18, 25-19, to advance in the WECSSAA playoffs.
• Congratulations to Karen Markovoich, an EDHS grad who was recently named the President of the St. Clair College Athletic Association’s intramural program. Markovich plays for the Saints’ basketball team.
If you have anything for the sports roundup, please contact Fred Groves at FredGrovesgrover54@hotmail.com.