Barn fire ruled accidental

Filed under: IN THE NEWS |

Barfire3 BarnFire2 by Sylene Argent

Members of Essex Fire & Rescue responded to a barn fire in the 2800 block County Road 20 on Saturday morning. Responders received the call for assistance at around 9:20 a.m.

Essex Fire & Rescue has ruled the blaze accidental with an estimated cost of $2,000 in damage.

On the evening of Tuesday, February 21, members of Essex Fire & Rescue were special guests at an Essex County Farm Safety Association meeting that focused on preventing barn fires.

During this meeting, members of Essex Fire & Rescue highlighted that causes of barn fires can vary, and can sometimes be difficult to determine as barns typically house many different types of flammable materials. Electrical problems, spontaneous combustion, working with torches, and chemical reactions can all contribute to starting a barn fire.

Clearing away cobwebs and replacing old lights can help prevent barn fires.

Farmers should try to always leave a pathway clear to the barn and ponds, if available. This will assist firefighters in getting to the blaze and access to water if the situation were to ever arise.BarnFire1

Placing a simple map of barns, and where chemicals or combustibles are stored, in a PVC pipe with caps on the 911 sign at the road is a great way to assist firefighters. This simple map can help firefighters know what kind of fire they are combating and where materials, such as diesel, are located. They can also highlight where electrical and gas shut offs are located inside.