by Fred Groves
Five players from Essex are suiting up for the Erie North Shore Storm and are currently in the Ontario Minor Hockey Association Midget Major championships.
This past Saturday, Rhett Bellaire had a goal as the Storm beat Whitby 3-2 in overtime. The next day, the Storm were blanked 3-0.
Other players from Essex on the team include goalie Chase Cosgrove, Everett Vanlare, Nolan Miller, and Kage Prieur. Phil Bellaire and Bryan Miller are the coaches.
The series continues on Friday night in Kingsville at 9 p.m., in Harrow on Saturday afternoon at 4, and in Kingsville on Sunday at 1 p.m.
• Still undefeated in the OMHA playoffs, the Essex Major Novices will head to Grimsby this weekend for the start of the final series. The Ravens, 7-0-1 in the post season, will play games on Saturday and Sunday before returning to Essex the following weekend.
• Essex’s Alex Friesen finished the regular season with the Carleton Place Junior ‘A’ Canadians on Sunday afternoon with an assist in a 4-3 win over Brockville. Friesen had 47 points, including 18 goals, in the regular campaign.
• Forward Matt Puempel had two hits and 11:06 ice time for the New York Rangers last Thursday night as they came up short, 4-3, to the Carolina Hurricanes in NHL action.
• Mark Voakes of Essex has 44 points in 50 regular season games with Wolfsburg over in Europe.
• The Tony Piroski-coached Leamington Flyers beat Sarnia 4-0 on Saturday to win their Junior ‘B’ hockey playoff series.
If you have anything for the sports roundup, please contact Fred Groves at FredGrovesgrover54@hotmail.com.